Sunday, March 22, 2015

Fundraising and cuteness!


Heyo!
So I've had a pretty insane week. And unfortunately, there isn't too much exaggeration in that statement. Between everything I had to do for school, some problems with a student organization I'm very involved in and Relay for Life on Friday, I've barely had time to catch my breath! Luckily, while it was somewhat stressful, this week has done more good for me then bad. But first, I'm gonna talk about Relay!


If you've heard of Relay for Life, then you probably have a basic idea of what it is. It's an all day and all night event that raises money for cancer research. Usually done at some kind of university, campus or gym setting, everyone has a "team" (since I'm in college, the teams consisted mostly of student organizations) that sets up a booth of their own choosing around a giant track. The idea is that you have people sitting at the booths, raising money by either having a game or selling an item such as baked goods or crafts. In addition, you are ideally supposed to have one of your team members walking around the track at all times. They also have cancer survivors and caretakers give speeches and certain traditions, such as a survivor's lap. I did it with NSSLHA (National Student Speech Language and Hearing Association) and we had a game where you guessed an animal sound from a recording and sold cookies and cupcakes. The NMU theme for the event was Welcome to the Zoo, so we all kinda dressed up like various animals and painted our faces as well as other people's. We had a super cute booth as pictured below! Needless to say, it was wonderful.
She was a good sport. 

Our super cute booth



In addition to that, I've been volunteering weekly at UPAWS, our local animal shelter. As I've been doing so, I've got some really good pictures of some of my favorite dogs, particularly today.. I'm just gonna leave them here for you to enjoy.
A little fluffball I loved.
He was so photogenic.
beagles have my heart.
 
 This is a pretty short entry, but I'm sure that I'll have a longer one next week! I am going to Michigan Speech and Hearing conference this weekend so I'll probably have a lot to say about that. Until then, live, laugh and remember that even when life sucks, puppies and kittens exist. 

Much love!
Cecilia





No comments:

Post a Comment